These days, the issues and information about environmental concerns are profusely being spread and disseminated to help save and conserve what’s left of the natural earth and to make an easier living for human beings.
In all areas and aspects of living, ways and methods are interjected and introduced to contribute in maintaining ecological balance. Even in the field of building and construction, there is now what ecologists call Green construction geared towards sustainable alternatives.
Included in Green construction are building materials which are nontoxic, sturdy and made of recycled products that address the now depleted renewable resources supply. Green building materials and supplies are not toxic, durable and eco-friendly.
- Floors are sometimes preferred to be made with woods or stretched out with carpets. But some woods are less renewable than others and carpets may contain VOCs that affect the quality of indoor air. A green alternative is bamboo, an easily replenished tree. Bamboo is cheaper than regular lumber or wood. Cork too may also be used as this are actually removed from the exterior surface of a living tree once in nine years. These greener alternatives look smart, are natural and have no negative effects on the body. Other green flooring materials are reclaimed wood, linoleum, wool carpeting, recycled rubber and carpet tiles, eucalyptus and sisal.
- Cement technologies are nowadays engineered to be more environment friendly. Porous cement, which can be used on walkways and driveways, permits water to sink in through the pores to avoid polluting the waterways. Light colored concrete is also developed for use specifically in metro areas to minimize heat and there is now the recent TX Active, used on buildings, which is said to eat pollution.
- Insulation in construction is an essential aspect of green building alternative as it addresses the problem on energy conservation. In place of the health hazardous asbestos, a much better insulation material are recycled newspaper or plastic, cork, cotton or soy.
- Green roofing alternatives are also available these days which is aimed at durability. There is the combined cedar tiles that resist mildew, moisture and insects. For metal roofs there are solar reflective roof tiles which are most useful during hot summer seasons. The roof may also be made to love, as in Living roofs covered with plant life. This kind of roof covered with vegetation helps minimize runoffs and is ideal for use in areas heavily filled with asphalt and concrete.
- Glass, which is usually used in modern styles of houses and buildings may also be utilized in a greener way. The glass windows may be made with layers of panes, each layer separated by compartments filled with gas for energy conserving insulation. Glass is also utilized in reflective paints that wards off sunlight and radiation when painted on roofs and house exteriors. Windows and doors made with glass may be coated with a special material that also blocks damaging sun rays and regulates the temperature in the interior of the house or building.